Home of Second Samuel May
Taken by Tress May Francis in 1936, this photo shows the house of Samuel May (1820-1904), the so-called Second Samuel May. Until it was torn down in 1936, it stood on the bank of the Big Sandy opposite the mouth of Abbott Creek. In 1936 the property was purchased by Judge Henry C. Stephens, who demolished the house and erected a new one. The demolition crew also removed three ancient cedar trees standing in the front yard of the house. The wood from these trees was subsequently used to construct three cedar chests. One of these chests is now the property of William James May of Prestonsburg. At the appropriate time, the chest will be placed on display at the May House.

Next Photo ===>>

Return to May Family Album Index

© 1997 DMF Software