Samuel May House, Undated
Found in Tress May Francis`s May Family Album, this photo shows the May House as it looked in the 1930s or 1940s. The large pine tree at the northwest corner of the house is visible in the foreground. During the 19th Century, the May Farm was known as `The Pines.` According to family tradition, during the Civil War period, whenevery Federal soldiers came up the road, the children of the house would hide in the tree in order to escape detection. All that is left of the tree today is a rotten stump. We were hoping to build an exhibit around the stump, but when we cut part of it down, we discovered that it was rotten to the core. For a photo of the tree, see `May House, 1936.`

Next Photo ===>>

Return to May Family Album Index

© 1997 DMF Software