May House in 1980s.
This photo shows how the May House looked during the 1980s, when Mary May, mother of Bill May and E. B. May, Jr., was still living there. The photo was found by Prof. Perry in the files of the Floyd County Times. Mary Barney May, the widow of Elijah B. May, lived in the house until her death in 1987. She and her husband are buried in the May Cemetery on the ridge directly east of the house. Elijah B. May died in 1958. The campaign to restore the house began in 1952, when Josephine Fields published an article in the Floyd County Times entitled `135-Year-Old Home Here Was Wilderness Mansion.` Another early advocate for the cause was Tress May Francis.

Next Photo ===>>

Return to May Family Album Index

© 1997 DMF Software