John & Sarah Phillips May
19, 2003 update
about John May
May 9th we initiated a mail-out campaign to raise funds to cover
the balance needed for the total cost for the gravestone.
May reported on the 19th that sufficient contributions have been
received to cover all estimated costs.
agreed at the 2002 May Reunion, any excess funds collected will
be donated to Friends of the Samuel May House, Inc.
to many descendants of John & Sarah May for their generous
support of this project.
Photos of present grave
to: Descendants of John & Sarah May
May 9, 2003
on the gravestone
At the 2002 May
in Prestonsburg, KY, we "passed the hat" and the attendees
generously contributed $1,008 towards the purchase of a stone
to be placed on the graves of our ancestors, John and Sarah Phillips
May, on Shelby Creek in Pike [previously Floyd] County, Kentucky.
Various suggestions on the type of stone to select and the inscriptions
it should bear were openly discussed. Eldon May of Pike County
volunteered to contact monument companies to get bids for an
appropriate stone. This is a report on the progress to date:
* Grey granite
stone from Valley View Monument Co. in Pikeville
* 48" wide by 24" high, placed on a thick granite base
* The metal D.A.R. marker for John will be embedded in the stone
* Total cost of stone, inscription, and installation: $1,495
* The owner of the property has agreed to allow us to place the
* The stone will be installed this summer, probably by June 30th
* It will be placed directly behind the stone blocks that surround
will be posted after the gravestone is placed on the graves.
If you have any
questions on this effort, please send me an email.
Eldon May, Fred May
ad hoc committee
May 9, 2003
Return to What's New